What’s this? Another cookie swap? That’s right y’all. This time I got to meet up with some bloggers in person! We met up at Blacktop Coffee in Los Angeles.
The LA Food Bloggers is run by Christine, Maryanne, and Ellen (who got sick that day).
We discussed melted and creamed butter, shared ideas, expressed our passions, and got to know each other in general.
Christine made lemon madeleines. I need a madeleine pan!
Maryanne made the perfect brown sugar chocolate chunk cookies with hazelnut and sea salt. They were not too sweet and went perfectly with the coffee at Blacktop Coffee.
Sarah of Honey & Limes brought walnut thumbprint cookies with a strawberry jam, and her roommate made Speculoos cookies! They almost matched in size.
Veronica from Collard Greens & Caviar made her grandmother’s Bromont Avenue Tea Cakes.
I made peppermint bark cookie bars.
I can’t say this recipe is 100% original because I fell in love with the cookie bars from Chelsea, the blogger behind the KaTom blog.
You can pretty much put any kind of chocolate-y candy in this to spice things up. This time, instead of using Ghirardelli dark chocolate peppermint bark, I picked up some Dove Promises because they were cheaper.
Melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and vanilla. Then crack in the egg.
Mix in the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Butter a 8×8 or 9×9 square pan then spread the batter in. I used my hands to even it out. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let it sit for awhile then cut into 16 squares.
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookie Bars
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of broken peppermint bark *I used a Ziploc bag and a rubber mallet.
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a microwave for 30 seconds.
- Transfer butter to a medium-large mixing bowl. Use the residual to butter a 8×8 or 9×9 square cake pan.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla. Mix with a rubber spatula.
- Stir in the egg.
- Slowly stir in the flour, 1/2 a cup at a time.
- Sprinkle on the baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in the candy pieces.
- Press into the cake pan.
- Bake for 23 minutes. Seriously.