One of my favorite apps recently is Flipboard. I choose the types of news I want, including tweets, and it shows me all the top stories.
It has helped me find the best articles to read such as, JillFit’s 13 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself:
3) Stop saying ‘yes’ to everyone and everything.
As women, this is often our natural default. We say yes to things we don’t want to do for fear of hurting someone’s feelings or out of obligation. We feel like if we put up boundaries that we are being bitchy or unkind, when, if you think about it, isn’t saying ‘yes’ to someone when you really want to say ‘no’ unkind to the other person?? I know for me, when I agree to things I don’t want to do, I end up resentful and bitter. And then, in that sense, not only am I now miserable but it’s doing a disservice to the person I said yes to, also. Practice those honest ‘no’s, as Byron Katie says. And if a friend is upset that you are doing what’s best for you, might you ask how good a friend they really are?
I remembered this message as I got texts and messages, saying “I take back what I said to you last week.” Exact words. Even if I didn’t have some sort of prospect right now, I would still have said no. Yes, it’s unkind to the other person, but more so, it’s unkind to myself. I don’t deserve it.
- to be comfortable. I’m not a mess when I’m at home, but I felt pressure to be “perfect” whenever I went to hang out.
- quality time and attention. I wasn’t a fan of driving in traffic. I also didn’t enjoy sitting around doing nothing for 21 hours (once). This might have been okay with someone else, like my former roommate – we used to sit in the same room and do our own thing. Quality time is definitely my love language.
- to surround ourselves with positivity. I learned to listen, to give support and advice. I learned in the process that I love helping people and making them feel good about themselves.
I’ve peeped tons of fall bucket lists and wanted to make one. I haven’t had a ton of time to sit down to make a definitive list so here’s a draft:
- Zip line
- Go to a pumpkin patch and carve a pumpkin
- Make a Halloween costume
- Go to a fall festival
- Go to a Oktoberfest
- See a roller derby match
- Hike at night
- Watch a football game
- Watch “Hocus Pocus”
- Make caramel apples
Idea from Downtown Disney this evening
- Bake a pumpkin pie
- Read a book
- Visit Asheville or somewhere with leaves and a pretty lake
- Do a 5K (can be done by winter)
Other going-ons in life:
What have you said no to lately?